Claim Uniform Tax Allowance!


If you wear a uniform to work and your employer provides no laundry facilities, you can claim a tax allowance every year for the cost of cleaning your uniform. The amount you can claim depends on your occupation.

If you claim via a third party then you will pay a fee. do it yourself and there is no fee, you will simply get the money and allowance if successful.

Questions should be directed to your local tax office.

Telephone: 0300 200 3300
Textphone: 0300 200 3319
Outside UK: +44 135 535 9022
Call HMRC for help with questions about Income Tax, including PAYE coding notices

Have your National Insurance number with you when you phone.


Ambulance staff on active service £140
Nurses, midwives, dental nurses, therapists, healthcare assistants £100
Plaster room orderlies, hospital porters, ward clerks, sterile supply workers, hospital domestics and hospital catering staff £100
Laboratory staff, pharmacists and pharmacy assistants £60
Uniformed ancillary staff: maintenance workers, grounds staff, drivers, parking attendants and security guards, receptionists and other uniformed staff £60

HMRC Guidance



Posted in Branch News
If you and your family would like to start receiving all the benefits of being a GMB member, then please join here.
Login and access the GMB Resource Area; full of useful information for members and reps, you can also update your details.